US Homeland Security rescinds alert notice on NAIA

The US Department Homeland Security (DHS) has rescinded the Public Notice it issued in December last year on security conditions at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport, citing “significant improvements” made by the Philippines.

A news release issued Thursday, August 8 said Acting Secretary of Homeland Security Kevin K. McAleenan ordered “effective immediately the rescission of the Public Notice regarding security conditions at Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Manila, Philippines (MNL) issued in December.”

The DHS issued the notice on December 27, 2018, after it found that the Philippines failed to adequately implement and maintain international security standards and recommended practices established by the International Civil Aviation Organization in Annex 17 to the Convention on International Civil Aviation of 1944.

“After months of direct engagement with the United States, the Government of the Philippines has made significant improvements to the security operations of MNL,” DHS said.

“Both the Manila International Airport Authority and the Government of the Philippines civil aviation security authorities have demonstrated they are willing to work toward sustaining those improvements,” it added.

The department vowed to continue working with the Philippine government “to help ensure a strong security posture at MNL (Manila) and enhance global aviation security.” —Source: LDF, GMA News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.